LIC benefit for income tax and pension to dependent parents

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws LIC benefit for income tax and pension to dependent parents

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Sir I m dependent of my daughter.working in para military force
      1.how a father get pension…In any circumstances
      2. is there she can get income tax rebate in premium paid by her for my and wife policy or younger sister policy

The Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare (P&PW) under the Government of India has clarified vide its OM. No. 1/2/07-P&PW(E) dated 02.09.2011 that in case the deceased government servant is not survived by a widow/widower or a child, the dependent parents become directly eligible to receive family pension. In cases where a deceased Government servant is survived by a widow/widower or a child, and the position changes subsequently because of death or re-marriage of the spouse and/or death or ineligibility of child/children, including a disabled child, the dependent parents become eligible for family pension. You can read the full O.M. online here.

Deduction for the LIC premium paid is available for the purposes of the Income Tax Act under Section 80-C of the said Act only where the LIC premium has been paid for the individual (himself or herself), the wife or husband and any child of such individual. Such deduction is not available for LIC premium paid for the parents of the individual concerned. However, premium paid towards the Health Insurance of dependent parents may be allowed for deduction under Section 80-D of the said Act, subject to the limit of Rs. 15000.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Under Income Tax Act, can one get standard deduction and S. 57(ii)a reliefs?
family pension deduction u/s 57(iia) of Income Tax Act
Rebate on tax for pensioners
Adding LTCG and STCG to income - Long Term and Short Term capital gains