Is sending back dated legal notice professional misconduct for an advocate?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law Is sending back dated legal notice professional misconduct for an advocate?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Respected sir,

I have been having a dispute with my neighbour over a CCTV camera which he has installed onlooking my property. I had sent him a letter on 27th September 2017 informing him to remove them or i will take legal action.

On 6th Nov 2017 i recieved a legal notice from his advocate about some public nuisance which is clearly to intimidate me. However i noticed that he has mentioned the date in the letter to be 18 September 2017 however in the courier recipe send date is 4 November 2017 which means he has the intention to backdate his notice prior to my letter regarding CCTV cameras.

Is it not professional misconduct to send a backdated legal notice for an advocate?

Thanking you
      Sarthak Nayar

This is what has been held by the Supreme Court, on this issue, in the case of Noratanmal Chouraria v. M.R. Murli, (2004) 5 SCC 689:

7. Misconduct has not been defined in the Advocates Act, 1961. Misconduct, inter alia, envisages breach of discipline, although it would not be possible to lay down exhaustively as to what would constitute conduct and indiscipline, which, however, is wide enough to include wrongful omission or commission whether done or omitted to be done intentionally or unintentionally. It means, “improper behaviour, intentional wrongdoing or deliberate violation of a rule or standard of behaviour”.

8. Misconduct is said to be a transgression of some established and definite rule of action, where no discretion is left except what necessity may demand; it is a violation of definite law.”

If the lawyer concerned has deliberately back-dated the notice sent to you, with the mala fide intention of showing that the notice was issued by him (or his client) prior to your letter, then in my opinion it may amount to a misconduct. However, sometimes, it so happens that a letter is genuinely prepared and signed on a particular date but remains pending for dispatch and is dispatched later due to some problems or due to negligence or oversight, in such a situation, it may not amount to misconduct. So, it all depends on the facts of the case.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Plus should an advocate also put his enrollment number on the legal notice along with his name, is it mandatory ?

Thank You once again for your exhaustive and wise reply.

Yours Respectifully
      Sarthak Nayar

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Cheque bounce - want to fight own case by discontinuing advocate
Inaction by Chief Judicial Magistrate for forcing to engage lawyer
Can an arrested person be enrolled as Advocate in U.P. Bar Council
For starting law firm of partners, is it necessary that both partners be lawyers