Is quashing of case after charge sheet possible

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Is quashing of case after charge sheet possible

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I have arrived at a compromise with my wife on case under 498A IPC filed by her and also on mutual divorce issue. The process of arriving at compromise took some time. Meanwhile the police has already filed charge sheet in the above case. I am told that charge sheet means there is evidence to prove case. In such situation, after filing of charge sheet is it possible to quash the above criminal case? Please reply since I have already 75% of the compensation to wife which was for the purpose of quashing of this case.

Usually, if charge sheet has already been filed it is advisable to file discharge application before the trial court instead of filing an application before the high court to quash the criminal proceedings.

However, in your case, your are seeking quashing of the case not on merits but on the basis of the compromise arrived at with the complainant / victim of the case (i.e., your wife), therefore, it stands on a different footing and it may not be possible to get a discharge from the trial court. And in any case, a discharge has to be decided on the basis of the merits of the case and not on the basis of a compromise between the parties.

Moreover, offence under Section 498-A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) is not compoundable. Therefore, the only option left with you would be to file an application under Section 482 of the Criminal Procedure Code before the high court for quashing of the criminal proceedings. In view of the fact that both parties to the case have compromised and also because the case is of a private nature (being a matrimonial case), there is a reasonably good chance that the high court will allow your application and quash and set aside the criminal proceedings arising out of the said offence.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

How to recall NBWA issued against accused after his last non-appearance?
Is it possible to file 498A IPC case with police if S. 125 CrPC already pending?
Can documents be presented in Defence evidence without getting cross-examined
False 498a ,506 cases on NRIs with Indian passport