Information about drug peddler to be given to police

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Information about drug peddler to be given to police

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Aakash

I have information about a drug peddler sitting in front of my college and ruining the lives of young children. How can I secretly give this information to the police officers? I am afraid that if my name comes in the open, my safety and security will be at risk and I will be in trouble. Please advice.

Visit the website of your city police or district police or state police, as the case may be. You can easily get contact details of the police station covering your area, as also the contact details of the senior officers of your area (such as DCP or ACP or the SP). You may contact them on phone. Or, better still, go and meet the concerned police officers at the police station or their offices. Give them the information that you have while requesting them not to reveal your identity and other personal details. Generally, the police officers would not reveal the identity of the informant / source person who provides them information, more so when a specific request is made in this regard.

Alternatively, you may also provide information to the Police Control Room (such as at the phone number 100 if it is operational in your area, or whatever other phone number they have) by phone. The advantage of giving the information to police control room is that they record each and every information provided to them and also the action taken by them (such as directing the concerned police station or police mobile van to the spot). This would ensure that at least some action is taken on the basis of the information provided by you to the police.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Difference between the logo of Mumbai Police and Maharashtra Police
Police not filing charge sheet
Regarding right to privacy of accused during investigation, once FIR registered,
FIR or Magistrate - what is preferable when I have sufficient evidence