IN Laws Threatening me and my family

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law IN Laws Threatening me and my family

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Honourable Dr Ashok,

Myself Ashok from Rajasthan. I got married in feburary 2014 with a girl from nearby village. But soon after marriage, interruption of girl’s family is too much. In my family there are five members. My parents and I and one brother and sister. My brother and sister are studying. My relatives live far away from us, in different districts.

All the relatives of my wife’s family live in her village only. My wife’s parents have misbehaved with my parents many a times. They have brought 20-25 people many a times and misbehaved with my family and even threatened to beat us, if we dont obey orders of my wife.

She goes to her parent’s house quite often and don’t respect me and my parents. She didn’t even talk to my parents in my house.

Previous year in 2015 she demanded 10,000 rs which i didn’t have , so she got furious and called her parents . Her 25 relatives came outside my house and started shouting foul words and have sticks in their hands. I have pics of that incident. She went to her parents house after that . My borther and sister’s studies are disturbed since 2014 and problem is that I am the major earning member in family and my father is a pensioner.

Sir, she filed a FIR against us in 2015, in which wife’s family misbehaved with us and uttered everything they could have uttered. I didn’t want to take her back but bowing to so called fake society’s pressure, I took her back.

One of her relatives is a Police dalal , so she remains fearless always. Sir, her behaviour is as it is.

Sir, Isn’t there any provision of suing the 20-25 people who come in our house to create chaos ? She talks roughly with me and don’t respect me , but I fear that their family may harm my sister, so I keep quiet. I want to take divorce from her. I have numerous audio recordings of threat with me. Shall they be permissible in court sir??

The incident mentioned by you, of 20-25 people coming with sticks and shouting foul words and threatening you, can at best amount to offences under Section 143, 506, 504 of IPC. Out of these, offence under Section 143 of IPC is cognizable, which means FIR can be registered with police. Try doing that. If the police does not register FIR, then you can file a private complaint with the Magistrate court.

Generally speaking, the photographs of the incident and audio recordings may be used in evidence in court. [Also see:  Recording official telephone conversations].

In case you don’t have any option left and want to take divorce as a last resort, you should try to convince her for mutual consent divorce (see: Divorce by mutual consent – conditions and procedure). A unilateral divorce petition from you, which is opposed by her, may take long period to get decided, depending on amount of pendency in the court in your area. However, generally speaking, you should be in a position to use the evidence mentioned by you in your divorce petition. Please consult a local lawyer with full details of your case.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.