How to get vehicle which was stolen but recovered by police?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law How to get vehicle which was stolen but recovered by police?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

My car was stolen. I filed the FIR. During investigation, the police has recovered this vehicle. Actually, the police found that this car was abandoned and was lying on a roadside. How can I get my car back from police?

If any property (such as your car) which was stolen, has been seized by the police and if the case is still pending investigation, in that case an application can be made to the court of Judicial Magistrate (or Metropolitan Magistrate, as the case may be) under Section 457 of the Criminal Procedure Code for handing over possession of such property to the person entitled to the possession thereof.

You may therefore apply to such court (which has jurisdiction over the police station concerned) along with proof of ownership of the car, such as the RC, etc.

The Magistrate may give possession of your car to you on supurdgi or superdnama. The court may impose certain conditions, like not selling the case during the period of trial.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.