Holding two Voter ID Cards in India – whether objectionable?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Constitutional Law Holding two Voter ID Cards in India – whether objectionable?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I had applied for registration as a voter. However, nothing happened and I got no information or Voter ID card. Later on, when just before the election, a special campaign was started for registering new voters, I again applied for voter registration. This time I got Voter ID in a few days. Subsequently, when the election was to take place, just before that I got another voter ID on the basis of my first registration to which there was no response earlier. I voted only once in the election. But, now i want to confirm whether there is any objection in having two voter IDs? What should I do?

One cannot be registered as a voter twice – whether in the same constituency or in different constituencies. This is as laid down in Sections 17 and 18 of the Representation of the People Act, 1950. Having two voter ID for registration as a voter twice may be an offence.

I have already answered a similar question in detail and the answer to that question may be seen at the following link: http://tilakmarg.com/answers/is-it-an-offence-to-have-two-voter-ids-for-election-in-india/

You should surrender one voter ID to the issuing authority.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Constitutional Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.