Help needed on domestic violence Act and dual maintenance

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Help needed on domestic violence Act and dual maintenance

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

Dear Sir,
      My in laws filed cases against me and my mom under sec-12 of PWDV act 2005. Can u provide me the judgements favouring section 2q of act. That no females can be respondents. And my wife has already filled case of 125 cr.p.c. and I am giving monthly fixed maintenance through mutual consent in court. She also asked for maintenance through sec-12 of PWDV act. And plz provide me judgements favouring no dual maintenance can be given to wife.
      Plz suggest what can be done.
      Regards,

In fact, on the other hand, in the case of Sandhya Manoj Wankhade v. Manoj Bhimrao Wankhade, (2011) 3 SCC 650 : (2011) 2 SCC (Cri) 21, the Supreme Court has specifically held that a female can also be a “respondent” within the meaning of Section 2(q) of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005. The relevant observations of the Supreme Court are reproduced as under:

“13. Having carefully considered the submissions made on behalf of the respective parties, we are unable to sustain the decisions, both of the learned Sessions Judge as also the High Court, in relation to the interpretation of the expression “respondent” in Section 2(q) of the Domestic Violence Act, 2005. For the sake of reference, Section 2(q) of the abovesaid Act is extracted hereinbelow:
      “2. (q) ‘respondent’ means any adult male person who is, or has been, in a domestic relationship with the aggrieved person and against whom the aggrieved person has sought any relief under this Act:
      Provided that an aggrieved wife or female living in a relationship in the nature of marriage may also file a complaint against the relative of the husband or the male partner;”
      14. From the above definition it would be apparent that although Section 2(q) defines a respondent to mean any adult male person, who is or has been in a domestic relationship with the aggrieved person, the proviso widens the scope of the said definition by including a relative of the husband or male partner within the scope of a complaint, which may be filed by an aggrieved wife or a female living in a relationship in the nature of a marriage.
      15. It is true that the expression “female” has not been used in the proviso to Section 2(q) also, but, on the other hand, if the legislature intended to exclude females from the ambit of the complaint, which can be filed by an aggrieved wife, females would have been specifically excluded, instead of it being provided in the proviso that a complaint could also be filed against a relative of the husband or the male partner.
      16. No restrictive meaning has been given to the expression “relative”, nor has the said expression been specifically defined in the Domestic Violence Act, 2005, to make it specific to males only. In such circumstances, it is clear that the legislature never intended to exclude female relatives of the husband or male partner from the ambit of a complaint that can be made under the provisions of the Domestic Violence Act, 2005.”

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.