Giving photocopy of original sale deed to brokers for selling land plot

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Giving photocopy of original sale deed to brokers for selling land plot

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

My brother has a plot of land in Noida and he wants to sell it. He talked to a few real estate brokers and they want photocopy of the original sale deed by which my brother had purchased that plot. Is it advisable to give them the photocopy of the property documents such as sale deed since my brother is worried that such photocopy may be misused by brokers who can forge document and sell that plot or encroach the plot. Kindly advise.

It is advisable not to give photocopies of the property documents (such as sale deed) to outsiders such as brokers. Though normally such photocopies would not be misused, but you never know.

Your brother can show the copies or the originals of the documents to the brokers, if they so insist for their satisfaction about you being the owner of the property. In the worst scenario, you can give Cancelled photocopies, i.e., putting CANCELLED words all across the photocopy in big letters, to trusted brokers. Or, you can tell them that you can show the documents to a prospective customer who shows interest in the property after seeing it.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.