FIR to Chargesheet Delay

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law FIR to Chargesheet Delay

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi,
      I filed fir in police station against somebody 4-5 months back. It is for a cheating case.
      How much time is it ok for the police to take for investigation? When should we approach the court if we feel that police is delaying too much?

There is no hard and fast rule for time needed to complete the investigation in a case. It depends on the facts of each case, the complexity of the issues involved, nature of investigation required to be made, opinion of the experts needed (if any), the level of expertise of the investigating officer himself, how burdened he is (with other duties and investigations), etc.

In a cheating case, a period of 4-5 months for investigation is not abnormal. If the nature of allegations in such case is complicated, the investigation may need more time also.

The best thing for you is to ask the police officer concerned about the progress in the case and the approximate time he would be needing for completing the investigation.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

FIR closure by police and now I as complainant being called to court
Can I use RTI to get information about progress of investigation in FIR?
Police not filing charge sheet
Regarding right to privacy of accused during investigation, once FIR registered,