FIR closure by Police

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law FIR closure by Police

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hello,
      I have registered an FIR in police station against someone for cheating and fraud. That opposite party is a rich party. Is it possible that he may manipulate the police (with money or political connection) and get the FIR closed? What precautions do I need to take on this front? Now-a-days we hear of so many stories of police being bribed by rich and powerful.

It is not impossible for a rich party to bribe police officers and manipulate investigation and get a closure report filed on completion of investigation. It is a known fact that it may be happening in some cases. But, it is not necessary that it would happen in every case. It also depends on facts of every case. Sometimes a case may be so strong that it may not be possible to file a closure report in the investigation even if the police is willing to help the accused. So, start with having trust in police and do not doubt everything, just for the sake of doubt.

But, if you come to know about any such malpractice in the investigation, you can inform the senior officers of police who can then intervene in the investigation. Provide all possible evidence from your side to the I.O. to support your case. Moreover, if a closure report is filed on completion of investigation, you as the complainant would get a right of being heard against such closure report; so, file your protest petition in Magistrate court against such closure report, if any, and object to such closure with the support of evidence in your favour. If you have sufficient evidence in your favour, the court will not accept the closure report filed by police.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

FIR closure by police and now I as complainant being called to court
Can I use RTI to get information about progress of investigation in FIR?
Police not filing charge sheet
Regarding right to privacy of accused during investigation, once FIR registered,