Filing of case without waiting for sufficient time after notice in cheque bounce

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Filing of case without waiting for sufficient time after notice in cheque bounce

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Sir in negotiable instrument act I have file case I have send registered notice on 12.01.2011 & file case on 27.01.2011. Is that prevents mature case. The person is located within same city where notice was sent. Kindly clarify my doubt.

One of the necessary condition for the offence of cheque dishonour under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act is laid down in clause (c) of the Proviso to this section, which is as under:

“(c) the drawer of such cheque fails to make the payment of the said amount of money to the payee or as the case may be, to the holder in due course of the cheque within fifteen days of the receipt of the said notice.”

Therefore, it is necessary to wait for a period of 15 days after RECEIPT of notice by drawer so as to give him opportunity to make the payment.

From the facts of your case, it appears that the case was filed in a pre-mature manner. This is so because even if it be presumed that the drawer received the notice on the same day, i.e., 12.01.2011 itself when this notice was issued, the period of 15 days gets completed on 27.01.2011, and therefore, the case should have been filed on 28.01.2011 or thereafter. And, if the notice was received by the drawer on a date later than 12.01.2011, then the 15 days’ period would get completed on a further date.

Therefore, your case appears to have been filed in a pre-mature manner.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Raj Singh

Sir, is there is any way in which I can save my case.the accused person have appeared in court after 5 years when non bail able warrant was issued against him. Is there is any other remedy for pre mature filing. How I can defend myself

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.