Default charges by the society including interest upon interest

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Default charges by the society including interest upon interest

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I want to know are the rate of interest ie 21% charged on default amount or the bill amount
      I means if my default is 5000
      The rate of interest is 5000×21%÷12 = 87.5 is the rate of interest charged on 5000
      But the society is charging me on 5000+87.5 ×21%÷12 = 89.0
      In the next month
      They are charging me interest upon interest and saying it’s your default amount
      Please guide

Generally, such interest is supposed to be on the default amount itself, and not on the interest component also, i.e., it is supposed to be simple interest and not compound interest. However, you may also have to check the relevant rules / byelaws of your society, as to what are its provisions. You can request the society to inform you under which byelaws it is charging interest on interest, or compound interest.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Adjustment of Part Payment
Housing Society denying share certificates
Stop Cheque Issue and Gated community new amenities issue