Criminal case background check for government job

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws Criminal case background check for government job

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I have been selected for a government job and I have been asked to fill up a detailed form in which information about criminal background is also sought. One case was registered against me along with other persons under section 324 IPC but I was acquitted in court as the case was false case. This happened 4-5 years back. Will I get this government job if I mention about this case?

In a case of this nature (Section 324 IPC), in which you have already been acquitted by the competent court, I think you would not face problems in getting the government job, though it is ultimately for the appointing authority to take a call. At the same time, you should not conceal information about the case in the forms required to be filled up by you at the time of getting employment. If you conceal this information, that itself may amount to a misconduct or a ground for a future action against you by the department. But, if you disclose the information properly, also mentioning that you have been acquitted in the said case, there are good chances that you may be appointed to the job despite the said case. In the worst scenario, if the said job is declined, you can challenge the decision in the competent court or tribunal.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.