Copy of Chargesheet for offences under Sections 500, 507 IPC

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Copy of Chargesheet for offences under Sections 500, 507 IPC

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi,

One of my close friends has filed FIR against me IPC 500,507. I understand that charge sheet been submitted to court on 6th Oct 2017. I requested my lawyer to get me copy of chargesheet.
      But even today he is telling me that it will take few days or weeks more. Does it take 2-3 months to get copy of chargesheet?

Please guide if i need to change the lawyer or it really takes 1-2 months to get copy.

Firstly, please note that offences under both the sections mentioned by you, i.e., Section 500 (defamation) and Section 507 (Criminal intimidation by anonymous communication or having taken precaution to conceal whence the threat comes) are non-cognizable and the police does not have the power to register FIR and start investigation on its own. So, it is doubtful whether FIR would have been registered under these two sections by the police, and there appears to be something missing in your question.

Anyway, presuming that the information given by you is correct, after submission of the charge sheet in the court, usually copy of the charge sheet (along with other papers) is given to the accused at the time of his first appearance in court. From the question, it appears that you have not been summoned to appear before the court so far though the charge sheet has apparently been filed on 6th October 2017. So, you may wait till you are asked to appear in the court, At the time of your appearance in the court, as and when you are asked to appear, you may get copy of the charge sheet along with other papers, such as statements of the witnesses and documents.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Improper investigation u/s 156(3) by police and judge dismissing the application
Who takes cognizance of a non-cognizable offence in a rural village or town?
How to compromise a case of assault on police (353) and non-obedience of order?
How can I obtain copies of Case Diary from police of investigation done in FIR?