Converting a joint owner property into a single owner property

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Converting a joint owner property into a single owner property

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

Me and my wife had purchased a property jointly in our names. Both of us 50% amount each and we own 50% of the share each. Now, I want to transfer the full property to her single name, i.e., instead of joint owners, I want that my wife should be the only single owner of this property. What to do for this? I have two sons. Can they object to this arrangement?

Since it is your self acquired property, during your lifetime you have full rights over it and your sons cannot object to the disposal of property by you.

In order to transfer your share in the property to your wife, and to convert the joint ownership of the property into the full ownership of your wife in the said property, you can gift your 50% share in the property to your wife. Accordingly, prepare a gift deed and get it registered in the office of the sub registrar.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Property issues - Signature taken on gift deed by fraud
Revocation of gift if mutation not done
Can my father transfer his property to me only and not to other family members
Can my mother cancel a registered gift deed of property?