Collecting cheque return charges when cheque dishonoured

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Collecting cheque return charges when cheque dishonoured

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

Can I as a distributor collect cheque return charges from retailers above what my bank charges me? i.e. for inconvenience, delay and expenses incurred due to dishonour?

This is generally an issue between you (as a distributor) and your retailers, subject to any agreement between you. There is no specific mention of it in Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act.

Generally speaking, you can claim all genuine expenses from your opposite party when they are due to the fault of the opposite party. If you are sending a notice for filing a case under Section 138 for cheque dishonour, you can mention about such expenses incurred by you (i.e., cheque return charges collected by bank).

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.