Case filed against boy for act done in self-defence against girl

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Case filed against boy for act done in self-defence against girl

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I was travelling in Delhi Metro and as usual, there was a lot of crowd on that day in the metro. Due to the rush and lack of space, I was pushed against a girl who was standing besides me. She accused me of molesting her and touching her inappropriately and slapped me in front of the whole public. The other commuters took my side and stood by me. As soon as she slapped me, i slapped her back in my self defence. Now she has filed a case against me. What should i do sir?

You’ll have to defend the case on merits. You have not given details of the offence registered against you, but it appears to be mainly under Section 354 / 323 of the IPC.

It appears that there may be two allegations against you: (i) of molestation and touching her inappropriately; (2) slapping her.

The plea of self-defence may not be available against the first act, but then you can try to prove that it was not intentional or deliberate. Self-defence plea with regard to the second allegation has to be examined as to whether it was necessary and whether it was proportional, and also whether the whole incident was caused due to your own provocation.

If other commuters in the metro, who have witnessed the said incident, are willing to support you as you have mentioned, you can enlist their support and can get them examined by police.

More than this, it may not be possible for us to help you on facts, since we cannot go into detailed facts of the case on this forum. Please consult some local lawyer by sharing with him all the necessary details.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Suicide, Abetment and Attempt to Suicide
what is equivalent of innocence till proven guilty mandate/dictum in india?
sign on blank 50rs stamp paper in 2013
No call details record of complainant in the FIR/ charge sheet