Can video recording of a crime be treated as evidence?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Can video recording of a crime be treated as evidence?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

In front of my house one accident had taken place. Though the police has registered the FIR but I understand that the police has registered the case against the wrong party and the victim has actually been named as accused person. I am not connected with this accident but this accident got recorded in my mobile phone as a video since at the time of accident I was just recording the scene on the road next to my house. Can I give this video recording to the police and will they entertain it as evidence and will the court treat this as evidence?

Yes, video-recording of an incident relating to a crime is definitely evidence for that case. This is electronic evidence which can be proved in accordance with the procedure laid down in Section 65-B of the Evidence Act. An alternative method of proving this evidence is production of the original device itself on which such evidence was originally recorded. In your case, the mobile phone (including its memory) may be the original device which can be produced before the court to prove the video-recording of the accident. As mentioned above, this video recording can also be proved in accordance with the procedure laid down in Section 65-B of the Evidence Act by producing its copy on a CD/DVD/USB drive, etc., along with a certificate required under that section.

Accordingly, you should inform the police about the video recording that you have about the accident and cooperate with the police for a proper investigation of the case.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

What are rules in India about drunken driving for presence of alcohol in blood?
Accident case in 279/337 and 427
Does Insurance Company continue to be liable if motor vehicle is transferred to another person?
What is the difference between FIR and General Diary entry?