Can my father transfer his property to me only and not to other family members

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Property Law Can my father transfer his property to me only and not to other family members

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

My father wants to transfer one of his two properties exclusively to me and not to my brothers and one sister. This is his self-acquired property. His other property he wants to keep equally divided to all family members for which he wants to make a will. Can he do so? If he transfers one property to me can other family members create some legal problems for that?

If it is a self-acquired property of your father, as it is mentioned in your question, then as per the provisions of the law applicable to Hindus, he has full right during his lifetime to dispose of the property in his discretion to any person. There is no restriction on him in this regard. He can sell the property or he can gift it to anyone. So, he can transfer the property to you by way of a registered gift deed. Other family members cannot oppose it legally since it is the exclusive right of your father to dispose of his self-acquired property in the manner he wants.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Property Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Property issues - Signature taken on gift deed by fraud
Revocation of gift if mutation not done
Converting a joint owner property into a single owner property
Can my mother cancel a registered gift deed of property?