can limitation act applicable to ipc 420 matter?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law can limitation act applicable to ipc 420 matter?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      JD JOSHI

i am trying to register FIR for 420 matter, for the same i filed written complaint with all documentry evidence, which shows that offence happened. But due to delay in filing complaint, concern police officer hesitate to register FIR. Kindly share relevant judgement or information on limitation act not applicable to ipc 420 matter.

Maximum punishment for an offence under Section 420 IPC is 7 years.

Section 468 of the Criminal Procedure Code, which lays down limitation period for taking cognizance of various offences, lays down limitation only for those offences for which the maximum punishment is not more than 3 years.

There is no limitation period laid down in Section 468 Cr.P.C. for an offence for which the maximum punishment is 7 years.

The Limitation Act, 1963, does not lay down any limitation period for taking cognizance of offences.

In view of these reasons, there is no limitation for taking cognizance of an offence under Section 420 IPC. Due to this, there is no limitation for registration of FIR for an offence under Section 420 IPC.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

JD JOSHI

Thank you so much SIR. By your reply, you boost my confidence to convince police officer to register FIR in Cognizable Offence, Prosecute Criminals and Punish. Now hope justice will be done with my late mother. Sorry for taking your valuable time. Gudluck to you Sir. Happy and Healthy day to you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Suicide, Abetment and Attempt to Suicide
what is equivalent of innocence till proven guilty mandate/dictum in india?
sign on blank 50rs stamp paper in 2013
No call details record of complainant in the FIR/ charge sheet