can I sue coaching institute for not refunding my fees?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Civil Law can I sue coaching institute for not refunding my fees?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      reddy

I joined a coaching institute months back.The coaching institute ceased to exist where it used to be.The location has been changed,so I didn’t want to continue.The new one didn’t live up to its promise.I asked for a refund,and the coaching institute agreed to do so.But after a while they are denying to refund.I can sue them, right?I have every right to get the refund.Can you help me out?

For deficiency in service provided by the coaching institute, you can try filing a case in the consumer court. If the claim is up to Rs. 20 lakh (which should be the case in your matter), you’ll have to file the complaint in the District Consumer Forum of the place concerned.

It is not necessary for you to engage an advocate for this purpose; you can do it in person also. Go to the District Consumer Forum, obtain the format and make basic enquiries about the procedure, and file the case on your own.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

reddy

Thank you,sir.But I hear these cases take so much time to get resolved.I paid Rs.1 lakh,and I attended the classes for 2 months or so before the institute got transferred.Can I lodge a police complaint?If so,under what section?I’m so glad you replied,sir.How much money can I demand,like compensation and all?I am not familiar with the consumer laws.

Yes, it is true that the consumer case may take time to get resolved, but there may be no other option.

As regards police case, depending on the detailed facts of the case (which it is not possible for us to examine in detail on this public forum), a case under Section 420 IPC (cheating) may perhaps be made out if there was a dishonest intention on the part of the opposite party to cheat you. But, generally speaking, the police refuse to register such FIRs. It that happens, you may have to file a private complaint in the court. Remember that police case or court case also may take time. Moreover, you may or may not get compensation by this method and it may in fact be more delayed.

You can claim the money that is due to you, plus interest, plus compensation, if any.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

reddy

If that’s the case,I’ll sure lodge a complaint in the consumer forum.Yes,sir, it’s been six months.They’ve been delaying the refund by saying weird reasons.The coaching institute is chronicle IAS academy,GTB nagar.Should I go to a lawyer or can I do it on my own?There are other students too,who want to do the same.Will I get my money back for sure?And thanks for helping me out,sir.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Civil Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.