Can I file cheque bounce case when loan acknowledged on stamp paper?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Can I file cheque bounce case when loan acknowledged on stamp paper?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

hi i am sudhir dave from mira road i have given some money to my friend in cash for which he has given me chq which is bounce in 10/11/2015 and he has given me in writing in stamp paper but no gaurantor’s, adocate,notary. is it possible to for me this time i can file case agianst him.

If you have given loan to someone and the cheque given to you for repayment of that loan has bounced, then you can file a case under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act after following the procedure of issuing notice etc. as laid down in that section. As regard proof of loan, there are various methods of proving the same; it is not necessary that there should be any guarantor for the loan or that some advocate or notary should have signed the stamp paper. The proof of loan is subject of appreciation of evidence by court which depends on the facts and circumstances of the case.

From the facts mentioned by you, it appears that the cheque bounced on 10.11.2015, and it is not clear whether you have followed the procedure mentioned in Section 138 by giving notice within the prescribed period. On the face of it, it appears that your case be beyond limitation period prescribed for filing the case; however, I am mentioning this on the basis of the limited facts provided by you. You may consult some local lawyer by showing your papers to him.     

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Based on the facts, although initiation of criminal complaint under section 138 of Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 towards dishonour of cheque may get hit by the limitation period as provided in the said Act, however, you may proceed with the filing of a summary suit under Order 37 of the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 before the concerned Civil Court seeking recovery of the acknowledged debt i.e. the cheque amount by placing on record the copy of the cheque and the agreement.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.