Can employer company ask me to deposit my original educational certificates?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Service and Labour Laws Can employer company ask me to deposit my original educational certificates?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

On being selected in a company for a job in its marketing department, the company is asking me to deposit my original educational certificates such as SSC, HSC (10+2) and graduation (BBA). The company has also asked to sign a bond of serving the company for two years. Can the company ask for these original certificates? Will the company return the original certificate if I do not serve the company for two years as per the bond?

It depends upon the terms and conditions of your employment that you and your employer company agree. If you are not agreeable to depositing the original educational certificates and executing a bond of two years in favour of the company, then you may refuse to do so, and may be join some other company. There is no such legal provision and it all depends upon mutual agreement between the parties.

Sometimes, a company may insist on these conditions to ensure that an employee does not leave the job abruptly, more so when they invest in training the employee during the initial period in some highly professional / technical work. But, nobody can force you to agree to such terms and you can refuse to join such company if you have reservations on these issues.

However, if you deposit these original certificates, then take proper receipt / acknowledgement from the company.

Moreover, if you agree to these terms of the company and abruptly leave the job within two years, then you may be subject to penal provisions of the bond. Normally, if you fulfil the conditions of the bond and pay the penalty, your educational certificates should be returned to you.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Service and Labour Laws’ is closed to new Questions and replies.