Can defence witness refuse to sign at cross questioning?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Can defence witness refuse to sign at cross questioning?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Sir,

I am an accused in a criminal case against me. Now I am appearing as defence witness in this case, as we have no other witness. I have given the statement but now it is the time for cross questioning by anti party. I just want to know that if their advocate tries to twist my reply then can I refuse to sign on the paper? If he insist to reply in yes or no then the whole meaning would be changed? So what should I do in such circumstances? If I cannot reply in yes or no. What if the Judge starts scolding if I refuse to give answers in only yes or no? Can the Judge take any action against me for such refusal by me? What should I do then?

Firstly, please understand that it is not binding or mandatory for the accused person to appear personally as a defence witness in the case against him. He has an option not be appear as a defence witness. In fact, in most of the cases, the accused persons do not enter the witness box and do not themselves appear as witnesses. However, once an accused person decides to formally become a defence witness and enter the witness box, then the opposite party (i.e., the prosecution or complainant side) gets a right to cross-examine such accused person. So, the choice is that of the accused person himself.

Note that examination of a witness includes examination-in-chief, cross-examination and re-examination, if any. Examination of a witness is not complete without opportunity of cross-examination.

Also note that Evidence Act lays down that “Leading questions may be asked in cross-examination”. Any question suggesting the answer which the person putting it wishes or expects to receive, is called a leading question. Generally, leading questions result in answers such as “yes” or “no”.

So, if you as an accused person enter the witness box, you cannot completely avoid leading questions being asked during your cross-examination. At the same time, if you feel that a particular question cannot be answered by yes or no, and that the answer lies somewhere midway, then you can clarify the answer, and usually the court would take it on record that the witness volunteers to further say so-and-so, etc. So, even if the opposite side lawyer asks a leading question and repeatedly insists that you reply either in yes or in no, you can politely inform the court that the answer can be neither yes nor no but somewhere midway and try to explain. Usually, the court would take down the reply in the proper way.

Judge may not take action if you refuse to answer a question (even otherwise, you have a right of “silence” as an accused) but an adverse inference may perhaps be drawn in appropriate circumstances if you refuse to answer and remain silent.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

What can be done and what cannot be in a cross-examination?
Can a mobile phone screenshot be accepted as legal evidence in a case in India?
THE INDIAN EVIDENCE ACT - 2st Question
No call details record of complainant in the FIR/ charge sheet