Can a subordinate challenge illegal appointment to appointment of boss?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Constitutional Law Can a subordinate challenge illegal appointment to appointment of boss?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

I am working in a government department and recently my boss has changed. The government has appointed him by violating the legal rules for appointment to such post. His appointment is completely illegal. After he joined in this post about two months ago he has started harassing me because I am from the promotee cadre and on my next promotion I am also claimant of the post which he is occupying. Actually, I am expected to get my promotion in one year. But if he continues in the chair of my boss, he may spoil my record and my promotion chance may be affected adversely. Can I challenge his illegal appointment by filing a writ in the high court or supreme court? Am I permitted to do it?

For challenging the illegal appointment of a person to a public office, you can file a writ petition in the high court or Supreme Court for seeking a writ of quo warranto. Such writ petition can be filed by any person irrespective of whether or not such petitioner has a personal interest in it.

The grounds for filing a writ of quo warranto for challenging the illegal appointment of a person, the following characteristics are required generally:

• Office occupied by such person must be a public office.
      • Such public office must have an independent and substantive character.
      • Such public office must be constitutional or statutory (i.e., under some law, rules, regulations, etc., under authority of law).
      • Such person must have been appointed in violation of the terms of the Constitution or the statutory law etc.

So, you should be in a position to file a writ petition for this purpose. It is advisable to file the writ petition in the high court, instead of directly going to Supreme Court because the Supreme Court may not nowadays entertain a writ petition directly under Article 32 of the Constitution nowadays.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Constitutional Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.