Bailable warrant issued against me

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law Bailable warrant issued against me

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

Yesterday, while I was out of my house, police constable visited my house with a bailable warrant against me in a case which has been registered falsely against me. He informed my family members that this was a bailable arrest warrant for a surety of Rs. 10,000. He said that he would be coming again to my house in a day or two to execute that bailable warrant. What should I do in these circumstances?

Bailable warrant is issued by the court under Section 71 of the Cr.P.C. This section provides that: “Any Court issuing a warrant for the arrest of any person may in its discretion direct by endorsement on the warrant that, if such person executes a bond with sufficient sureties for his attendance before the Court at a specified time and thereafter until otherwise directed by the Court, the officer to whom the warrant is directed shall take such security and shall release such person from custody.”

The endorsement made by the court mentions about (a) the number of sureties; (b) the amount in which they and the person for whose arrest the warrant is issued, are to be respectively bound; (c) the time at which he is to attend before the Court.

Therefore, a bailable warrant basically means that if the person against whom such warrant has been issued is willing to execute the bond with the sureties (as mentioned in the warrant), he shall be released on bail immediately by the police officer.

In your case, you have stated that the bailable warrant has been issued and a surety of Rs. 10,000 has been mentioned therein. So, you should keep a surety of Rs. 10,000 ready with you and you will be released on bail at the time of execution of the aforesaid bailable warrant. Thereafter you will have to attend the court at the specified time and on subsequent dates as directed by the court.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Circumstances change in a bail order
BAIL AFTER UPHOLDING VERDICT OF TRIAL COURT BY HC
What documents can be procured from court for applying a bail?
Cancellation of Bail by Sessions Court when bail was granted by High Court