Alimony amount – how much is to be paid to wife in given situation?

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law Alimony amount – how much is to be paid to wife in given situation?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My wife has filed a divorce against me. I am married for 2 1/2 years and I have a six month old son (he stays with my wife). My wife’s educational qualification is M.Sc but she is not working anywhere. She stays with her parents (in their own house). My father-in-law is a retired govt. officer. My mother-in-law is a housewife. I stay with my parents. The house is owned by my father (who is also a retired govt. officer). My mother is a house wife. I work in a Pvt. Ltd. company and my monthly income is 40,000 per month. How much amount alumni will I need to pay in this scenario. Please advice

Avijit

I have answered a similar question in detail which is available at: How is the amount of alimony or maintenance computed on divorce?

That answer covers your question, so please read it. As I have pointed out in that answer, based on a variety of factors, which depend upon the specific facts and circumstances of each case (i.e., there is no hard and fast formula), the amount to be provided as alimony or maintenance is decided by the court. It is usually experienced that the maintenance is generally fixed at 1/4 to 1/3 of the income of the husband, though this is not a hard and fast formula and the amount may be higher or lower than this in certain cases.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Section 23 of maintenance and senior citizen act 2007
Remedy for elderly parents if their child abandoned them
Does court of JMFC have unlimited power in relation to maintenance allowance?
False 498a ,506 cases on NRIs with Indian passport