alimony matter – SLP in Supreme Court against High Court order

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Family Law alimony matter – SLP in Supreme Court against High Court order

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

sir, my divorce granted by family court & 3 lakhs deposited as permanent alimony as judgement order by family court. but my wife had filed in odisha high court for higher alimony and high court had given judgement to me to pay 25 lakhs to my divorced wife. now my wife filed execution petition in family court to get 25 lakhs from me. i had filed for SLP in supreme court on 22/09/2017 and diary number i got. now i had given a copy of diary number with affidavit to family court that i had filed in supreme court.please help me that if the family court judge will accept the diary number of supreme court as evidence and not pass any order to me to pay money as per the judgement of high court to my wife. or i have to take stay order from supreme court. please help me what to do…

The best legal way out is to urgently mention the SLP filed by you in the Supreme Court, and obtain stay order against the execution petition for implementing the high court order on alimony. This will completely protect you from any adverse order in the execution petition during the pendency of the SLP.

However, if that is not possible, then the second best option, of course, is to convince the family court to keep in abeyance the execution petition on the ground that your have filed the SLP against the high court. You have already shown the Diary No. of SLP to the family court. You can also point out to the family court that right now, the Supreme Court is closed for Dussehra vacation and will reopen only on 3rd October, 2017. Generally speaking, in these circumstances, the family court would wait for a reasonable period of time before passing an adverse order in the execution petition, though it is not legally binding on family court in the absence of a specific stay order from the Supreme Court. In the meanwhile, you should try to remove defects in the SLP filing, if any, and get a regular SLP No. and then get it listed before the SC to get a specific stay order.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Family Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

Section 23 of maintenance and senior citizen act 2007
Remedy for elderly parents if their child abandoned them
Does court of JMFC have unlimited power in relation to maintenance allowance?
False 498a ,506 cases on NRIs with Indian passport