A person says he accepted bribe on my behalf – both challaned for corruption

Tilak Marg Forum for Legal Questions Forums Criminal Law A person says he accepted bribe on my behalf – both challaned for corruption

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous

Anti-corruption bureau has registered a bribe case against me and one clerk of my office. The ACB caught the clerk while taking Rs 5000 bribe. I was not caught and I was not on the spot. Actually I had not even come to office on that day as I was on medical leave. But the clerk told ACB that he accepted bribe on my behalf. ACB has now filed charge sheet against both of us. What should I do? How can I defend myself

It happens in many cases that bribe is accepted by one person on behalf of another person. You have not given full facts as to whether you had demanded the bribe from the complainant and whether you had asked him to hand over the bribe to the other accused person. Or, else, whether the other accused person had demanded and accepted the bribe in order to influence you by way of corrupt or illegal means or by using his personal influence, and if you had abetted such acts.

If the ACB has chargesheeted both of you, then that would imply that it would be having evidence against you for having demanded bribe and/or having abetted the offence. Though you have not mentioned the sections under which you have been chargesheeted, it may be under Section 7, 13(2) read with 13(1)(d) of the Prevention of Corruption Act (along with abetment section 12 or may be conspiracy section 120-B IPC), or may be under section 8 (or 9) along with section 10 of the said Act, depending on facts of your case.

You’ll have to defend the case during trial. You may also try filing a discharge application if there is no prima facie evidence available against you. Consult some local lawyer who can guide you after reading full details of your case.

Dr. Ashok Dhamija is a New Delhi based Supreme Court Advocate and author of law books. Read more about him by clicking here. List of his Forum Replies. List of his other articles. List of his Quora Answers. List of his YouTube Videos.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Criminal Law’ is closed to new Questions and replies.

You may also like to read these topics:

FIR, charge, sanction under S. 13(1)(d) of PC Act but conviction under 13(1)(c)
Taking household expenses at one-third of income in disproportionate assets case
Section of Prevention of Corruption Act to book person giving bribe to employee?
Can Prevention of Corruption Act case be filed against retired public servant?